Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Queerty Transphobia, Racism and White Gay Male Privilege On Display


TransGriot note: Thanks to Zoe at AE Brain, we have a recent comment posted on Queerty that's emblematic of the selfishness, privilege, racism and transphobia inherent in some elements of the GL community.

At the risk of sounding controversial, I visit Queerty because I am a gay white male. I have no interest in 'women issues'. While I'm not opposed to sporadic and infrequent attention to lesbians, I do not want this blog devoting any more time to their cause....

Yeah right, doesn't want to sound controversial but dove right into controversy in the first paragraph. Right off the bat he announces his neo-Mattachine selfishness toward the lesbian community.

Simply because I am gay does not mean I care about lesbians, bisexuals or transgender persons. I don't even know why some people try and group us together as one cause - GLBT - because we are not. I can see some purpose to grouping G + L and even Bs together, but not Ts.

Two reasons, first, we transpeeps were the ones that started the Stonewall Riot 40 years ago that kicked off the movement you Mattachine gays hijacked.

In case you didn't know, and obviously you don't since your transphobia and GWMP is showing, some of my transgender brothers and sisters are GAY and LESBIAN themselves.



I am quite comfortable being male, and I hate being associated with crossdressers. I find Ts offensive and do not want to extend any rights to them. Remember, had we not tried to press for "gender identity" clauses in all legislation, but instead limited it to "sexual orientation", gay marriage would be legal in every state. I have to agree with straights when they observe how bizarre and socially-inept crossdressers are, with their drug use and alcohol abuse.

You're also quite comfortable being a privileged selfish transphobe. It's not 'gender identity clauses that have kept you from gaining marriage equality, it's your inept political leadership and insistence on pushing this issue with conservatives controlling the White House, Congress and the Supreme Court that have caused your marriage equality failure along with your failure to court allies inside and outside the community.

And before you start throwing shade about drug and alcohol abuse, I can bat that ball right back at you about your peeps as well.



Transgender persons should fight their own battles, because at the moment they're hindering the rights of gays, lesbians and bisexuals everywhere.

p.s. I am not opposed to lesbians reading the blog.

Actually dude, it's the other way around. If it weren't for us having to fight rear guard actions against gay males (and lesbians) who thought like you, we transpeople would probably have our rights already. Besides, you've already arrogantly stated in the first paragraph that you didn't care about lesbians or their 'cause'.

btw. In terms of transvestites, I do not hate them. I like the one that appeared on the Tyra show recently. She was very human, although obviously depressed and (before Tyra rescued her) was homeless. This is embarrassing: as gay men try to gain acceptance, we need to do so on the basis that we are educated, affluent and have greater disposable incomes (due to a lack of dependents). Crossdressers go against everything we work to attain.

Your refusal to use the correct terminology to describe TRANSGENDER people already makes a mockery of this paragraph. I damned sure don't appreciate you disrespecting Isis and your GWMP is showing when you pronounced Isis as being depressed without benefit of a PhD in psychology.

Your lack of knowledge about how the rest of the gay community lives is an embarrassment as well. There are far more poor gay people than there are ones in the upper income brackets where you HRCoids are.



I am quite content with how I live my life and, unlike you, I don't need to pretend for a moment that I must have the support of crossdressers so to be successful. I'm very happy surrounding myself with men, both gay and straight, and women, lesbian and straight. I don't need to go looking for peasants or (not to be mean) heshes for some form of validation.

So you're content with being a racist transphobe. This practically screams 'Log Cabin Republican' too.


I did not matriculate with a Juris Doctor in Law so to defend transvestites. I did so for selfless reasons, to work on bringing marriage equality for gay men and lesbians everywhere. It pains me when all our hard work is undermined by crossdressers, most of whom as Tyra shows, are welfare recipients, homeless and addicted to illicit drugs. They're embarrassing and as a "community" bring out reputation into disrepute.

TransGriot readers, here's an example of an 'educated fool'. The major thing that brings this community into disrepute is the breathtaking ignorance you're demonstrating in this comment.

Shannon Minter, the attorney who argued the Cali court decision giving you your marriage rights is a transman. Most of your so called hard work to gain your rights was on the backs of transpeople. Oh BTW, your racism is now on display as well. Not all transpeople are on welfare, drugs, or homeless either.



I will also be the first to admit that I have not done enough to stop Prop 8 or work towards legalizing same-sex marriages. I practice commercial law (and don't believe in pro bono work) so naturally I'm very busy. However, I HAVE made a personal commitment to work towards legalizing same-sex marriage this year. I am happy to boycott businesses, picket churches, etc., and by the end of the year I will know I have made a difference. Yes, I can accept that as of today, I have done very little for our 'cause', but that will change.

Do the gay community a favor and continue to be the self-centered, pompous anus you've demonstrated yourself to be in this comment that I've dissected. While I thank God that there are some GL peeps who are wonderfully inclusive allies, there are far too many peeps in the GL community we run into like this that turn us and potential straight allies away from supporting you on marriage equality issues because of the racist, transphobic selfishness in this comment.

They have the nerve to get their panties in a bunch when people call them on it.