Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm A PETA Member

No disrespect to anybody who is a vegetarian or vegan, but I'm taking a moment to declare that I'm a card carrying member of PETA.

In this case PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.

Hey, as a Texan I don't pass by any barbecue restaurant without stopping and chowing down on some ribs or brisket. I love burgers and steaks, especially if they're grilled to well done perfection. I enjoy ham and turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas and have even had a turducken. Living here in Da Ville I have learned to appreciate a good bratwurst and have no problems chowing down on KFC, my mother's, or anybody's tasty yardbird.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like to see any animals mistreated, including human beings. Seeing news film of starving or neglected horses and other animals pisses me off. At various times during my childhood I grew up with cats and dogs as pets in our household. I'm also aware that the common link between serial killers Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Daumer and David Berkowitz was all of them tortured and killed animals in their childhoods.

But I have major problems with PETA the organization.

The cause is admirable in terms of calling attention to the cruel treatment of animals, but their racist tactics through the years have turned me off toward ever supporting them.

This latest case in which they wore Klan hoods while protesting New York's Westminster dog show only solidified my desire to roll up to my nearest KFC restaurant and order a bucket of original recipe.

When you are descended from people who are still disrespectfully compared to primates, and you run campaigns comparing Black people to animals, your message is not only willfully ignorant and racist, it's DOA.

In addition, their anti-fur campaign has my attention as well. You have the First Amendment rights to protest people wearing fur all you want, but defacing celebrity stars on Hollywood's Walk of Fame and throwing paint, blood or flour on people wearing those coats is going too far.

Dissing the Queen of Soul or any other African-Americans for wearing a fur ain't gonna win you any brownie points either given your previous documented racist history. If I bust my ass to make the money to get a fur coat and PETA idiots attempt to throw paint on it, they'll be surgically extracting my pumps from their anus after I beat them down for doing so.

On that note, time for me to head to Famous Dave's and grab some ribs.