Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Democratic Nominee

Tonight, to paraphrase Apollo astronaut Neil Armstrong, was one small step for Barack Obama, but one giant leap for my people and the nation. For the first time in our country's history, an African-American is the nominee for his party's nomination for president.

I have said for years that I felt the country was too bigoted and prejudiced to ever have an African-American man as president. I felt the breakthrough African-American president would be a sistah. Well, we still have five months of GOP and Faux news mudslinging and character assasination to go, but I'm hoping that America proves me wrong on November 4 and my niece wakes up on her ninth birthday to witness more American history.



While I'm hopeful that Americans will see through the lies and spin to elect this well qualified man as president, my lifelong skepticism on all things that are touched by race in this country leads me to the justified fear that people will vote for McCain just to keep him out of that office.

My white brothers and sisters, please don't dismiss mine and the anxiety-riddled concerns of African-Americans. Here's an example of the mentality we'll have to deal with even in our own party.

It's ironic that on the 45th anniversary of the Dr. King's 'I Have A Dream Speech' this August, Barack Hussein Obama will take the stage at a Democratic convention once again.

But unlike four years ago in Boston, when he was a little known state senator from Illinois, this time he'll be taking the stage in Denver as a first term US Senator accepting the Democratic Party nomination.

And on that night, Dr. King, Shirley Chisolm and Fannie Lou Hamer will be smiling down at him.